Pricing, craftsmanship and location are factors to consider when looking for the right builder for your new custom home. Once you’ve narrowed down your preliminary list and start to meet with Asheville home builders, ask these important questions.
1. How many years have you been in business and how many homes have you built?
2. Can I tour a home you built for a past client?
3. What type of home warranty do you provide to homeowners?
4. Who will be my primary contact during the project and how will they keep me updated on issues and progress?
5. Can you provide potential clients with references that are available to speak about their experience building with you?
6. Why is your company better than other home builders? What makes you different?
7. Will you build on land that I purchase or do you only build in planned developments?
8. Do you have a final walk-through after the home is built?
9. How and when will the final price of my home be determined?
10. Will you work with my architect or help me make changes to a house plan I found online?
There are many other important questions that you will want to ask, but this list is a good starting point. You’ll be spending a lot of time with the Asheville NC home builder you choose so be sure you feel comfortable communicating with them and have a good sense that they’re straight-forward and trustworthy. The home building process can be exciting, fun, confusing and emotional. It’s so much more than just a house. It’s an investment of time and money and usually the result of years and years of hard work. We hope this blog post will help you navigate finding a home builder that’s a good match for you. If we can help with your new custom home or home remodel, feel free to call us at (828) 274-4448.
There are many important things to consider when choosing an Asheville builder to finish your basement. There’s much more to a basement remodel than framing, drywall, and paint. An experienced contractor can help you with a plan that takes into consideration the foundation, water issues, code violations, ceiling height, and insulation.
If you’re finishing your basement in Asheville, NC think about what features you want. Do you want a wine cellar or theater? Will you need a bedroom for guests? Be sure to choose a builder that has experience finishing basements and solid recommendations. Interview more than one Asheville builder and ask if you can see examples of their past construction projects. You will be investing a lot of money so it’s worth doing your homework up front to ensure you’re happy with the results of finishing your basement. We found this infographic from Foundation Doctor NC helpful.
Below are some of the past basement remodels we’ve completed. View more Asheville home remodel projects
Judd Builders, an Asheville NC custom home builder, was recently mentioned in a HuffPost article “Bad Real Estate Lessons You’ve Learned From Watching HGTV.” Our Director of Marketing, Lauren McKinney, was interviewed for the article and spoke about her experience working with clients wanting to remodel existing homes and their lack of knowledge about the cost to remodel due in part to budgets on HGTV shows that aren’t realistic in the Asheville market. She said “the biggest misconception I see as a result of people watching HGTV shows is that it skews their idea of what things should cost. Whether it’s an existing home that needs to be remodeled or they’re buying a lot to build a new home, they think they can pay prices similar to Waco, Texas, where ‘Fixer Upper’ is filmed and where the market is completely different and building and labor costs are much lower.”
Read more of the article at HuffPost.