Mudroom Design Ideas for Organization and Style
The majority of our custom home clients in Asheville request a designated mudroom space near a secondary entrance where they can take off shoes, clothes, bags, etc. and contain them out of sight. Storage is a must-have for most clients and a mudroom helps keep other areas of the home tidy.
We started to see this shift from an old school coat closet to an entire room about 10 years ago. A mudroom is useful to families of all sizes, with or without kids. Who doesn’t want a welcoming space with a bench and hooks to hang up their jacket after a long day?!
Mudroom ideas to consider
- Bench – keep it open underneath for shoes to slide in or add a drawer to store items
- Drop zone – consider an area with a countertop so you have a place to drop things as you walk in
- Cubbies – sectioned off areas for each member of the family can help keep things organized
- Charging stations – keep cords and devices in check with a built in outlet for charging in cabinets or cubbies
- Baskets – a way to keep things out of site that also can add texture and color
- Metal mesh doors – gives an open, but contained feel and can be a more affordable option than full wood cabinet fronts
- Mail area – a divided area for mail will help keep it off kitchen countertops and scattered around the house
- Hooks – if you forego the traditional coat closet, be sure you have enough hooks and consider whether you want them out in the open or behind cabinets
- Laundry – consider whether your washer and dryer will be in the mudroom or in a separate room
To add a personal touch
- Flooring – consider a fun printed tile or a brick herringbone floor for added style and functionality
- Lighting – there are so many new flush mount options to match your homes style
- Bench cushion – have a bench cushion custom made with a fabric you love or find a retailer that has one in the size you need
- Hardware – mudroom hardware should be durable and long-lasting
- Cabinetry color – if you passed on the blue painted island or sage green bathroom cabinets because it felt like such a commitment in prominent rooms, consider choosing a fun color for the mudroom cabinetry
- Pet area – hooks, dog washing station, built-in pet food area
Building with a custom home builder
An Asheville custom builder will give you the freedom to make every design choice and selection. A custom home is unique to the client and the home builder who builds it. You will work as a team collaborating on all details to create a one-of-a-kind home and a mudroom that works hard for your family. A custom house plan with custom cabinetry gives you endless options for your dream mudroom.
Asheville, NC custom home builders, Judd Builders, work closely with clients to determine their exactly what they want in a new home. Building a custom home is the investment of a lifetime and should be a labor of love if you choose the right builder to match your needs. Good communication and trust should be established from the beginning of your relationship with a home builder. If you get any inclination that the builder may not be able to meet your needs, keep looking. There are many trustworthy custom home builders who’ve established a reputation and will allow you to contact their past clients to get a better idea of the process and what working with them is like. Take advantage of this opportunity and talk to as many of their clients as possible.
View our custom homes gallery.