What to Consider and Ask When Building a New Home
Pricing, craftsmanship and location are factors to consider when looking for the right builder for your new custom home. Once you’ve narrowed down your preliminary list and start to meet with Asheville home builders, ask these important questions.
1. How many years have you been in business and how many homes have you built?
2. Can I tour a home you built for a past client?
3. What type of home warranty do you provide to homeowners? What do you cover in the first year and what’s covered in 10 years?
4. Who will be my primary contact during the project and how will they keep me updated on issues and progress? Do you use a home building software platform where I can access project information.
5. Can you provide potential clients with references that are available to speak about their experience building a home with you?
6. Why is your company better than other home builders? What makes you different?
7. Will you build on land that I purchase or do you only build in planned developments?
8. Do you have a final walk-through after the new home is built?
9. How and when will the final price of my home be determined? Do you have a sample contract for new construction homes?
10. Will you work with my architect or help me make changes to a house plan I found online? If the home builder has stock plans, ask them how they charge for upgrades and how the change order process works.
The Home Building Process
There are many other important questions that you will want to ask, but this list is a good starting point. You’ll be spending a lot of time with the Asheville NC home builder you choose so be sure you feel comfortable communicating with them and have a good sense that they’re straight-forward and trustworthy. The home building process can be exciting, fun, confusing and emotional. It’s so much more than just a house. It’s an investment of time and money and usually the result of years and years of hard work. We hope this blog post will help you navigate finding a home builder that’s a good match for you. If we can help with your new custom home or home remodel, feel free to call us at (828) 274-4448.